Sunday, January 27, 2013

Review: Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren

  Waterfall by Lisa T.  Bergren

Series: The River of Time (#1)
Publisher: Cook, David C.
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Format: eBook, 384 pages
Source: Purchased through Barnes and Noble
Genre: YA, Romance, Fantasy








Overview:

     Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Bentarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives with their parents - framed Etruscan scholars- among the romantic hills.  In Book One of the River of Time series, Gabi and Lia are stuck among the rubble of medieval castles in rural Tuscany on yet another hot, boring, and dusty archaeological site... until Gabi places her hand atop a hand print in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy.  And worse yet, in middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces.
      And thus she comes to be rescued by the knight-prince, Marcello Falassi, who takes her back to his father's castle-- a castle Gabi has seen in ruins in another life. Suddenly Gabi's summer in Italy in much, much more interesting. But what do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?

My Thoughts
 
    I really enjoyed this book, and it took only a couple of hours to read.  I haven't read too many time travel books, but if all are as good as Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren, I would love to read them all. The book follows the Bentarrini sisters as they follow their mother on archaeological dig.  Gabi is our protagonist, and I found her to be very likable like her sister, Lia. Together the girls explore the old ruins and find hand prints in tombs in which they place their hands and find themselves transported to medieval Italy. 
   Sometimes I found how easy Gabi's transition was to medieval Italy unbelievable.  I'm sure if any 'regular' teen was just tossed a couple of centuries back into time, (s)he  would promptly freak out.  I know I would.  But maybe that's because even though I excelled in history, I probably wouldn't be able to remember half of what I was taught so long ago. 
   Waterfall is so cleverly written and wonderfully described I don't have any trouble picturing myself there with Gabi.  There is a ton of adventure and romances, sure to please everyone.  After reading this one, I am definitely excited to read the next novel, Cascade.
 
    My Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment